Tuesday, March 25, 2008

He's still asleep!

The first nap today was unusual in its development. He usually goes down fairly regularly--between 9:00 and 9:30--but it looked like this one wasn't going to take, even though he was obviously exhausted. He cried for a few minutes when I rocked him, then fell asleep, only to wake up when I put him down. I decided to leave him in his crib and let him cry for a few minutes, with ten being the max I had in mind. I had turned on the music when I started rocking him (that's one of the new rituals we're trying to do, in place of my singing to him, which makes it harder for other people to put him down). He was in there longer than ten minutes, but he wasn't really crying at first, so I waited until he sounded upset. I went in and tried to rock him, but he was kicking and not happy about being rocked. So I laid him down one more time, left his room and closed the door, and lo and behold, he fell asleep after a few (10?) minutes. What's really insane is that he's now been down for an hour, which is twice as long as he usually naps. I heard him cry out a couple of times, and I went in to get him, only to discover that he was still asleep. Oh, please, let this be a turning point. I should know by now not to get my hopes up after a single occurrence of something, but I can't help it. Maybe this is progress!

No comments: