Sunday, May 17, 2009

Letting go of insecurities

On Friday morning we had some new friends over, and E and I had a great time. It was actually our first time ever having a one-on-one playdate here at our house with someone we met through the Austin Mamas. It was so nice talking to this mama and being around her sweet little girl, and I'm glad we got together. I've been a bit insecure about having people over, partly because we live kinda far out (for some people), and partly because I've been to several of the mamas' houses, and they're really nice. But you know what I realized? My house is nice too. Nice enough, anyway. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. So we don't live in a hip neighborhood--who gives a shit. And who cares if other people have nicer houses. This is ours, and I'm thankful for it, and it's fun having people over. I've decided to apply this philosophy to other areas of life as well--it's liberating.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

I know what you mean about feeling insecure about one's home. The 2 years that we lived in our condo, there have been only enough house guests to count on 2 hands. Some of that is me teetering on the edge of being social/reclusive and some of it is just feeling like the space was too small to effectively "entertain". I always feel so much better when I let those insecurities go and just have people over, but getting to the point of letting go is hard. I always question if the place is clean enough, if someone is going to laugh because we still use our "college student" furniture, etc. etc.

We really enjoyed getting to visit with you and E the day you came by. :-)

Heather said...

Thanks, Katrina. I meant to write after we visited to say how much we enjoyed coming to see you, and how helpful it was to hear about your experience so far balancing a baby and a toddler. (And now a move! I hope that goes smoothly.)

mama bee said...

I'm glad we could help out ;-)

Like I said, we had a great time and I think your house is wonderful, but even if I didn't, who cares? It's the company that matters.