Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Third Anniversary

Today is our third wedding anniversary. We've come a long way from our bar days at Staccato in DC six years ago, the open mic nights, drinking coffee and kissing the afternoon away at Tryst, sharing beers and talking for hours at Toledo Lounge, romantic dinners at Pasta Mia, walking everywhere, reading the Washington Post every day, hanging out with each other's friends, happy hours at Larry's Lounge and the Reef, bagels from So's Your Mom. The list goes on. It feels like another lifetime. I have to remember that we were desperately ready to get out of DC, otherwise the nostalgia would crush me.

Now we're here in Austin and we have a little monkey and I can actually say in all honesty that life is good. I wouldn't have said it a month ago, but I can say it now. I have a tendency to feel guilty and uncomfortable whenever I think I might be happy. I don't usually recognize how good something is until things get really bad. So I'm making a point of recognizing this.

I realized the other day that I feel like part of a team again, with TJ home and liberated from his former job. And we've been better about communicating. We have a bit of our old life back, except now we have E. E who smiles at us about a thousand times a day. Who causes us to pinch ourselves over and over and over and over again. There was a time we didn't know when or if our baby would come. I'll never forget that time. But now he's here and he's himself, and I can't imagine it any other way.

No comments: