Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Vaccination Day

We're going in this afternoon for E's six-month appointment (which is really coming closer to seven months). And shots. Ugh. I DREAD the shots. He's going to feel terrible the rest of the day and will run a little fever, judging from our past experiences. If he's awake he'll be crying in misery. I expect we'll spend the rest of the day and night with him either nursing or sleeping.

I wish there was an easy answer about vaccinations. I'm not comfortable having him vaccinated, but I'm not comfortable not having him vaccinated either. I do believe that vaccinations have prevented an immeasurable amount of human suffering and saved millions and millions and millions of lives. They're probably the most important medical development in human history. So big-picture-wise, I'm all for them. But I don't care about that right now. All I care about is my baby and his health and well-being.

I'm planning to order The Vaccination Book by Dr. Sears. I'm both resistant to and fascinated by Dr. Sears and his rabid followers. I know that's not a fair characterization AT ALL (the rabid part), but sometimes I feel a little pressured. In reality, though, I agree with a lot of what he stands for and am drawn to parents who follow that parenting style. So I don't know what my problem is!

Wish us luck today.

No comments: