Saturday, July 19, 2008

Avoidable Injuries

I don't think I've mentioned on here that my parents, by which I mean my dad and stepmom, found a beautiful house in San Antonio and are moving in today. They moved out of their San Marcos house at 5:00 in the morning on Thursday. They're now the first to admit that they did a terrible job handling the move (which I have to say we saw coming a mile away since they don't know how to set boundaries or manage their schedule and hadn't started packing as of this past Monday) and indeed they ended up in deep shit, staying up all night trying to get out by the deadline of 5:30 a.m. In the middle of the night, my dad fell as he was putting a load in the truck. As a result, he now has a huge knot on his forehead, a swollen, purple eye, and bruises and abrasions across his nose and face, hip, and knee. He's lucky he didn't end up in the hospital. (I still think he needs to see a doctor.) Gwen, in the meantime, came down with a vicious UTI and is on antibiotics, and they're both more sore than they ever knew was possible. Like scary sore. It's so frustrating to me that they did this to themselves, and hadn't arranged for friends (except a few last-minute helping hands), family, or movers to help them. The thought of my dad all beat up like that kills me. They said they hadn't taken into account that they're no longer in their early thirties, which was how old they were the last time they moved. And they completely underestimated the amount of stuff they had to move. Luckily, they hired movers to unload the truck today. They didn't have any other choice, since they are barely functioning physically at this point. What were they thinking??? We're going to see them (and the new house) tomorrow.

My mom, in the meantime, who lives in Dallas, reportedly got in the middle of another fight between her boy dogs, and ended up with stitches and a fractured arm. I haven't talked to her yet--I heard this from Nana (her mom). This is the third time my mom's been hurt trying to break up a fight between them, and this is the most severe injury. Up until now she's minimized the fights (to a comical degree), but I don't see how she can this time. I mean, surely this will finally be the wakeup call that they can't keep both boy dogs? They're super sweet, but they're both alpha males, and they aren't fixed. It seems like it should go without saying that her safety is more important than anything. On the other hand, they adore all three dogs and I know it would be traumatic to have to keep only two. I'm going to call her today or tomorrow and find out more about what's going on. She's in New York this weekend (she goes every month).

No comments: