Monday, July 21, 2008

Harried Update

I'm going to be running around this week (or so I think), so I wanted to post a couple of quick things in case I don't get a chance to later. First, we saw my parents' new house in San Antonio yesterday and it's fantastic. They've never lived anywhere this nice and they're pinching themselves. We couldn't be happier for them. And my dad is doing fine. He didn't look as bad as I'd expected. He has a very black eye, scrapes on his forehead and nose, knee and arm, but feels pretty good. He's moving around like an old man, though, which we enjoyed pointing out. Teehee. Their life is going to continue to be nuts (as per usual) until school starts (he teaches high school and Gwen's a librarian at an elementary school). So I don't know when they'll ever get unpacked and set up in their new home. I'm trying not to let that drive me batty since it's their life and none of my business. I struggle with this since I LOATHE clutter and they're borderline hoarders.

My mom got stitches in three places on her arm and has to be in a cast for six weeks. They're undecided about whether to find a new home for one of the dogs. The fight sounded like quite a bloody scene and traumatic for everyone (except the dogs, who appeared unfazed). Luckily, my little sister was home when it happened and was able to help my mom get the dogs separated and deal with all the bleeding.

Eamon's sleep has gone to hell in a hand basket over the past few days. It's a struggle going down, he wakes up a ton in the night, and is raring to go at the crack of dawn. It's frustrating and exhausting. I think it's a combination of teething and that developmental stage that hits right about now--he's on the verge of crawling and is practically bursting with energy. His arms and legs give these spastic little jerks even in the middle of the night, and when I nurse him he hits and pinches himself and me and pulls his own hair. He's a crazy man. Not sure how we're going to tackle this one. So far we've let him cry but have gone in and rocked him when he hits fever pitch.

This week we have a couple of lunches, a pool date, and on Friday we're going to see the house that Catherine and Shannon just bought (their first home; so exciting). We're also trying to get the house ready for our dear friends (do you have to be in your eighties to use the phrase "dear friends"?) who are coming to visit from Ecuador next weekend. We're starting the process of babyproofing, moving the tv downstairs, etc., which has resulted in rearranging furniture, frames, books, and so forth.

By the way, I feel terribly conflicted (disloyal, even) for writing about that incident between TJ and me and portraying him in a negative light at all because he's so wonderful. But I trust that you guys get it. I cannot even tell you the number of times I've been cold and sullen towards him for no real reason and he only ever responds with kindness. Anyway . . .

Have a great week!

No comments: