Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Slimming Down

I thought I should report that TJ has lost a couple of pounds. Whew! And I've actually lost a few myself. We're really getting the hang of this new way of eating, I think. We're even more dedicated than when we started. TJ has cut pasta out completely; I still have it on rare occasions. We're also limiting rice and bread but we're still eating whole wheat tortillas and pita (and brown rice with stir fry but not as a side). We've found that having snacks with protein is key, and we've also discovered that a steak or grilled chicken salad (with a bunch of veggies and sometimes a hard-boiled egg) fills us up nicely. I don't think either of us has needed to snack as much as we did at first. (This added later: The snacking less comment may not be true.)

Our dinners have mostly been coming from the South Beach Diet Cookbook (the one with thirty-minute meals). Even though we're not doing South Beach per se, the ingredients in that cookbook are in line with the way we're eating now (which actually does equate to Phase 2 and 3 of South Beach, I think). So, we're learning and modifying as we go. I know TJ is disappointed that he hasn't lost more weight; I guess we'll see what happens over the next couple of months. I have to say that I feel great eating this way. It seems obvious to me now that I used to stuff myself silly--it's nice not to feel uncomfortably full and bloated every day. I've noticed that when I do eat pasta now (which I've had two or three times in the past month), I feel gross afterwards. I probably wouldn't if I only had a cup of it, but if I'm eating pasta, I want more than that. I do love me some pasta.

No comments: