Monday, August 4, 2008

Hypothyroidism

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism today. I couldn't be more shocked. If I had a thyroid problem, I would've thought it would be hyperthyroid, not hypo. My only symptom is fatigue. I'm tired all the time, but I attributed that to having a baby and not getting much sleep. A few months ago I was experiencing crazy hair loss, but I thought it was normal post-baby hair loss, and in any case, it's stopped for the most part. The other symptoms: weight gain, trouble losing weight, brittle hair, constipation, decreased libido, low heart rate, dry skin . . . none of those fit me right now. Odd. My TSA number (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is high. And not just a little high. (When your TSA is high, it actually means your thyroid is low. Something else I learned today.)

So, tonight I started taking a medication (I forget the name) that I'll take for six weeks, at which point I'll go back and get checked again.

It's unsettling to think you're healthy and balanced only to find out that something is off kilter. Hopefully it'll get squared away shortly, and perhaps I'll start feeling less tired. Wouldn't that be nice.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow-- So sorry to hear that. I hope the meds even everything out.

Heather said...

Thanks, Melissa.

Carolina-Jane said...

Bovine supplements are very effective alternative thyroid supplement. Bovine takes a secondary approach to hormone production and weight loss. It gives your thyroid a boost of the thyroid needed nutrients. these nutrients are needed for hormone production.