Monday, June 2, 2008

Friday and Saturday

We had a busy weekend. Friday night Catherine and Shannon came with me to Wimberley to see my mom perform her one-woman concert (a benefit for a children's grief camp she works at each summer). She's doing two in Dallas, where she lives, one in Wimberley, and maybe one in San Marcos. I wasn't sure what to expect and was nervous going into it, but she was incredible, I have to say. It's been quite awhile since I heard her sing, and she's been training for this concert for a year and a half. Her voice is in the best shape it's ever been in. Really, there aren't words to describe it. The program was very diverse, ranging from Faure and Handel to Gershwin and Sondheim. She also sang a few children's songs she wrote many years ago when my sisters were little. The last song she did was "Autumn Leaves," by Joseph Kosma. I'd never heard it before, and apparently it's my grandmother's favorite song. It was so sad and so beautiful--I cried and cried, thinking of Papa.

In any case, Catherine and Shannon and I had so much fun on our little road trip. It felt like we were back in college. TJ and Eamon, in the meantime, enjoyed their time alone together. E had some trouble falling asleep (he's been nursing to sleep almost every night lately), but it wasn't horrible, and he was out by 6:30.

His second tooth emerged the following morning (I swear it came through between the time he woke up and the time he went down for his first nap). He proceeded to take two good naps that day, so I think we're out of the woods with this one, and all in all it wasn't too bad. I thought his nighttime sleep would be a mess, but it really wasn't (and last night he went eleven hours straight). He seems to have lost the ability to fall asleep on his own, however. I've been having to nurse him down for naps. Hmmm.

My mom came over on Saturday and we took her to lunch at the Eastside Cafe, which of course she loved. She hadn't seen E in a long time. Here's a picture of them having fun together on the couch.

No comments: