Friday, June 13, 2008

Summer Cold, Falling Asleep with Grandma

I ended up taking E to the doctor yesterday because his cough had gotten worse and he was pretty congested. It's the first time the baby's had a cold, so I wanted to get him checked out, mostly for my own peace of mind. Dr. D looked him over and declared he has a nasty summer cold, but nothing to worry about. Today is the worst so far, at least in terms of his cough and runny nose, and he seems run down. His little eyes are red and watery. This morning he coughed so hard he puked up a bunch of the milk he'd just nursed down. Poor guy; he doesn't know what a cold is. He woke up a lot last night between 7:00 and 11:00, at which point we put saline drops in his nose (he FREAKED) and gave him some Tylenol, as Dr. D recommended. E weighs 22.10 pounds now (egad!) and can handle a higher dose, so that's good to know. He woke up at 2:45 and then at 7:00 for the day. So, not too bad, considering. I realized that he was mad at me after we gave him the drops (TJ held him down while I put the drops up his nose). I went to nurse him afterwards and he wouldn't look at me or latch on. At first I thought he just didn't want to (which never happens) or couldn't breathe well enough to suck, but he was very dramatic in the way he craned his head away from me, and it finally clicked that he was angry. For some reason it struck me as incredibly funny (and sweet). Of course, he gave in and started nursing within a couple of minutes--I guess you can't hold a grudge for very long when you're eight months old.

We were going to visit my parents in San Marcos today, but we're going to go Monday instead.

E did great with Grandma on Wednesday night. We'd planned on waiting until he was asleep before leaving for the show, but he was awake when I put him in his crib and it was already after 7:00. I was worried he would have a terrible time falling asleep (which is what happened last time we left him, two months ago), but Gwen only had to rock him twice before he put his head on her shoulder and conked out. What a relief. And he didn't wake up once before we got home--unusual these days.

I really hope I get a chance to post about the Indigo Girls and Brandi Carlile. It was an amazing night. I can't even begin to tell you.

No comments: