Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Something very sweet, and something not so sweet

I love it when E's nursing and he pulls off and looks at me for a second, and then he smiles, and a little milk trickles out the side of his mouth. It kills me every time.

Then there's this other thing that has just started happening: I'm trying to rock him, and he reaches behind my neck and yanks my hair as hard as he can. As I uncurl his fingers from the hair, he starts giggling, and when I say sternly, "Pulling hair hurts," or something like that, he laughs harder and tries to do it again. It *infuriates* me, even though I know he doesn't understand what he's doing. And so it begins . . . I didn't know this kind of thing started so early. So far, each time this happens, I use a serious tone of voice, and I immediately stop rocking him and put him in his crib and leave, hoping he'll learn that there's a negative consequence when he pulls my hair like that. (It's not like my hair is down when I rock him. He has to really work at pulling it.) Does this sound like a good strategy?

But back to the milk trickling out the mouth. I can't tell you how cute it is. It's one of the sweetest things I've ever seen.

No comments: