Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Deep Eddy

It's amazing what a little sun can do for the spirit. We joined a few 2007 Austin Mamas today at Deep Eddy over the lunch hour. It was going to be blazing hot, and Eamon has been so bored at home (I need to get some new ideas of stuff to do with him here), it seemed like just the day to go. And E's swimming lessons start June 20, so I thought it would be good practice. I didn't have Swimmies or sunscreen or anything, so I ran to CVS this morning and got some while E napped and TJ listened for him (another benefit of him working from home).

In any case, the water was cold! I was glad I had E to focus on because it kept me from being too wimpy myself. The cold didn't seem to bother him too much as long as I went slowly. We stayed in for twenty or thirty minutes, and I was impressed by how well he did. Eventually he started to suck on my shoulder, which I've realized is his way of telling me that he's hungry. So we went and sat with the others under a tree and I fed him lunch, and he played, and then awhile later I nursed him. A couple of the other mamas had whipped out the boob earlier, so I felt very comfortable doing so as well. It was liberating! It felt wonderful to be sitting outside in the shade, nursing and visiting without having to feel self-conscious.

E fell asleep on the way home but woke up when I took him out of the car. I tried to rock him when we got upstairs, but he wasn't interested in putting his head down. I knew he was still tired, so after I changed him I just put him in his crib wide awake and turned on the aquarium and left the room. I didn't expect him to go to sleep, but I figured it was worth a try, and at least it would give me a few minutes to unpack our pool bag. He got fussy a little while later, but just as I reached his door, he quieted down. I peeked through the crack in the door and saw him lying on his belly with his eyes barely open, definitely on his way out. And that's where he remains . . .

It's been a good day.

No comments: