Monday, May 12, 2008

Night to End All Nights

Last night was a doozy. I lost count of how many times Eamon got up. Eight? Ten? I was exhausted going into it (he hasn't had any good nights lately), so I felt like total crap by this morning and have had a headache all day. He was up at 6:15 for the day (so much for my fantasy of him sleeping later after waking up so many times), and has barely napped at all today. At the moment he's in his crib, crying, and I'm going in periodically to comfort him. He's upset and crying no matter where he is--in bed, in my arms, or playing. He clearly needs to sleep, and the crying is inevitable at this point. Ugh.

We met Catherine today to walk around Town Lake. When I woke up this morning I didn't think I had it in me to go, but we made it, and had a wonderful (!) time. Afterwards we all met Shannon for lunch. It was good that we had somewhere to go today. On days like this, it's best to be out.

I'm not sure what to do about these numerous, endless night wakings. I feel like I can tell when he's in pain from teething, and that wasn't what was going on last night. We think part of what's happening is that he's rolling over in his sleep and then waking up. I think we're going to try not going in at his first cry tonight, and see what happens. I can't imagine him going back to sleep without getting hysterical, but I guess we'll see. I feel like we're in a terrible pattern that needs to be turned on its head.

Well, I just spent forever in there rocking him. Right as I was about to give up, lo and behold, he put his head down and kept it down. I continued rocking him until I was pretty sure he was asleep, or well on his way, then put him down . . . and he started crying immediately. (I'm not far behind at this point.) I finally gave up (this has been going on for 45 minutes) and now he's playing here beside me. I feel dangerously burned out. I know it's mostly due to sleep deprivation, and the consequence of feeling like I haven't had a break. Surely tonight will be better. Right?

No comments: