Friday, May 16, 2008

New Pattern?

We never made it to out to lunch today--TJ was too busy. I think instead we'll go to a park or something early this evening. E & I haven't really been out today because he's taken two good naps again. I don't think that's ever happened twice in a row. I'm wondering if it could be the start of a new trend. A baby who's never napped suddenly turning into one who naps like a pro? Is that even possible? It definitely changes the pace of a day. I'm used to being out and about in the afternoon. And I'm used to not having much free time at home. It's almost like I don't know what to do with it.

The way he's been going down has been different too, in a consistent way. He rubs his eyes, I change him and read him a book, turn on his white noise machine and his music, and start to rock him. In the past, we would rock him to sleep, but that's not working anymore. I get the sense that he just wants me to put him in his bed. I realized the other day that it's been several weeks since I rocked him until he was asleep. That's a pretty significant change, and I wasn't even fully aware of it. Now I rock him for a minute or two, not even until the first song is over, and then I put him down wide awake. I turn on his aquarium toy, hand him something to hold on to, and leave. If he fusses at all, it hasn't been for long, and he hasn't gotten that upset. Sometimes I've gone back in and rocked him again, but mostly he's just been hanging out in there, moving around, and then falling asleep at some point. I would not have believed this was possible three months ago. Of course, I'm sure it won't last. It's not like we've done anything to make him do this; this is just where he is right now. And I must admit that it rocks.

No comments: